Thursday, August 13, 2009

Tune of the Day

So my weekly-ish recommendations kind of fell through after two editions... No matter, I press on to bring you the Tune of the Day for August 13, 2009! Written on my last day at my summer job. In fact, writing this blog entry might be the last thing I do before leaving.


Joel Plaskett - Shine On, Shine On, Shine On (I'm not sure if the link works or not)
Three (disk 2), 2009

Why I picked this song:
Really, who's surprised that Mr. Plaskett's my first pick?
The longing for home in this song is palpable and almost envelopes you as you hear him croon about his loneliness while touring down in Australia. Also, the lyrics have been stuck in my head all day.


Why I love this song:
It plays like a narrative, like a letter written to Plaskett's wife from Scarborough Beach. It's not until the last verse that the song title enters, in a delicate crescendo, framed by traditional folk whistles. (that's a good interview, btw)

His gift is his burden, his home propels him forward, and his motivation is always rooted in the love waiting with the front porch light on.

Damn.


I set my sails for the New South Wales
Trying to get ahead of the sun
The day I left for the New South Wales
You said, “Babe, don’t forget where you’re from.”

Wading in the water on the Scarborough Beach
Taking pictures of my feet in the sand
I should be writing you a letter from the Scarborough beach
Saying, “Babe, you won’t believe where I am.”

Stopping on the highway at the side of the road
Staring at a whole new set of stars
I go where I go and I do what I’m told
But it’s easy to forget who you are

Oh, you read my mind
Your beauty can leave me blind
The truth can be cruel and so unkind
But I can’t lie to you
Sometimes I get so blue
I don’t want anything to do with myself

I set my sights on my front porch light
Trying to shake this feeling that took hold
Dreaming that you’re leaving on the front porch light
Maybe turning lead into gold
Singing, “Shine on, shine on, shine on traveling light”
Sing a song, sing it for all the right reasons tonight